History


Daisy Bank cottages is within a converted sandstone barn that was build c1830. The building was originally a general purpose barn for animals and storing their feed.

When the Jones’ family bought the farm in 1895, the barn was used as a shearing shed. Silvor tussock grass was cut from the bush and laid down to keep the sheep clean. Grating (wooden slats) were installed in 1916 and major repairs were carried out in 1932. They removed two layers of sandstone from the walls and the wooden shingles were replaced with the existing roofing iron. Most of the rear wall was rebuilt using the best of the removed stone for the princely sum of 14 pounds!

The barn was used for shearing until 1966.